On Nov. 21st Wendell and I celebrated our
5 year Anniversary!
When I say celebrate I mean we remembered as we were going to bed that night!
A lot of people have asked how we met so I thought it would be fun to blog about it!
It all started 5 years ago. (well obviously) I was 17 and just starting Grade12.
On the very first day of school a group of us were sitting on the temple lawn trying to decide what we would do for the rest of the day. (Yes that is the day I almost killed 6 of us in Kimball but that's another story!) Wendell drove by in his little white car and I remember thinking to myself, "Dang that Wendell Walton is cute!"
Soon football season started and my friends and I loved going to the games. We got some old couches from our friend Taylor (little did I know he would become my future nephew) that we used to haul all over Southern AB.
One night in particular I remember sitting on the couches watching the game when I looked behind me and down the row a little bit and there sat Wendell. Again I thought he was really cute but he was sitting next to a girl I didn't care much for so then I spent the rest of the game wondering if they were together! I had never even talked to the guy in my life before but I was stewing over the fact he was sitting next to that girl!!
This picture was taken that night. If you look above Tess's head (girl on the far left) you can see Matt Prete in the green vest and Tell Jensen with the black hat on next to him. Wendell was actually sitting next to Tell. Wendell's parents are also directly behind Matt and Tell. I never realized this until we started dating! I wish Wendell was in the picture!

Anyways back to the story. A few weeks later after a football game a group of us were parked in the high school parking lot having a dance party! Lame I know but what else do you do in Cardston on a Friday night?!! When out of the corner of my eye I saw 2 guys run to my truck and grab my couch! Instinctively I ran after them and jumped in the back of their truck just as they were driving off. There were 3 guys - Colby, Matt, & Wendell!! Come to find out it was actually Colby's couch that he had given to my friend and now he wanted it back! Well I wasn't ready to give it up willingly. They drove around town and the reserve in the freezing cold (it was October) and they wouldn't stop unless I promised to give back the couch. I would not give in so they kept driving! They finally stopped on the reserve and made me get out and walk. They took off and left me there. I'm guessing one of them felt bad so they came back and picked me up. They finally let me sit in the truck with them and there I was all snuggled up next to Wendell!!
They drove me back to the high school and they eventually gave me back my couch. They were just about to leave when I saw a different guy that I liked pull up in his truck which was full of girls. I was mad so I jumped in the truck with Wendell (willingly this time) and hung out with them for the rest of the night.
The next night Wendell, Colby, my friend Kori, and I went to Lethbridge. Wendell calls its our first date but I disagree! We went bowling and then just cruised around for a bit. (Cool I know) Things were going good until Wendell forgot my name on the way home which was super awkward!! Which is why I don't call it our first date! When we got back to Cardston they dropped me off at my truck and headed home. It just so happened that I had to drive past Wendell's house to go home and there he was standing in the middle of the road waiting for me!! I stopped and he apologized for forgetting my name and we talked for about an hour.
I would call it the start of our relationship except for the fact he didn't call me again so I had to take matters into my own hand. One day after school we were going around soaping vehicles (once again cool I know) and his car was parked outside his parent's house. So we jumped out and soaped the heck out of it. I left my phone number on his window. This started the soaping/Vaseline under my door handle war between us.
Finally he called me over to his house to just hang out. For weeks after that we were practically always together. This was our first date! We went quading in the pasture! I guess he thought I was a crazy driver!!
Eventually I had to sit him down and have the DTR talk! He didn't like the idea of dating a high school girl and we almost didn't date because of it. He wanted to wait 8 months until I was out of high school but I told him it was now or never. I wasn't waiting. I gave him some space to figure out what he wanted and within days he had decided he wanted to be with me. And we have been together ever since. He even came to my grad with me and sat at the head table!
Well that's the story of how we met and started dating.....
I would love to hear your stories so blog about them!
Hi ash this is Tess
ReplyDeleteLeah and i just read this.....soooooo soo so CUTE. One day we will tell you our story but for now we really don't have one. (thanks for rubbing it in our face tho!!) but it's ok were still young right? we will get married one day!! :)
xxxx
Well you girls are getting old..... just promise me you won't get a cat okay! lol Just kidding!
ReplyDeleteSo cute Ashley..I still remember the day Wendell told me about you...He was totally smitten :)
ReplyDelete